Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Two Tribes

Okay, Junior's class is awesome.

It was incredibly uplifting for me when his ENTIRE class dropped their textbooks and walked out when the teacher made clearly uncalled-for comments. As a non-white person living in a white community, I could feel the tremendous amount of elation that flowed out of the pages (or screen in my case). Perhaps the same would apply to any person under similar circumstances but this is huge for anyone of minority.

But as was mentioned last discussion, some people found it difficult to like Junior. But I liked him roght off the bat and his story resonated with my own of struggle in a world that was to promote the American dream: of leaving your roots and finding your destiny. Sure, leaving your culture, abandoning it, betraying it, are all ways of lookig at it. But I see it as merely adding onto what already exists.

1 comment: