Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hydrophilia

The narrator is so very frank. 

You almost get a Holden Caufield type of vibe from him, with the story of a boy trying to get through life (and all of its side routes and whatnot). Just toss on the red hat and you have a pseudo-Holden. And he admits stuff. 

The narrator is awfully frank. Did I mention that yet?
But regarding that Arnold (Junior) feels like an incredibly relatable character to me at least. Some social anxiety mixed with extenuating circumstances. I wonder what it would've been like had I been to a school like his. And then the Reardan one. 
The style of writing actually somewhat fits into how I normally think. Short comments here and there and maybe a phrase that leaks into my writing. The conversational type. As a protagonist, Arnold (Junior) is quick to gain the reader's sympathies and empathies and so forth but those people have to be the type who reads this type of literature. Or the type to take AP Lit. 

How would Roger react to this book should he read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment